Achmad Reza Widjaja, Ph. D. memulai karir akademis sebagai Assistant Professor di United Arab Emirates University (UAEU), Bapak Achmad Reza memiliki keterkaitan yang sangat erat dengan Universitas Bakrie selain menjadi staf pengajar di Universitas Bakrie untuk program S1 dari tahun 2008 beliau juga mengajar di Program Pasca Sarjana Magister Manajemen Universitas Bakrie dari tahun 2013, Bapak Achmad Reza menancapkan karir profesionalnya sebagai Ahli Ekonomi di PT. Bumi Resources, Tbk salah satu perusahaan yang merupakan bagian dari Kelompok Usaha Bakrie sejak 2008 hingga saat ini.
Ph.D.- Economics, 2004
University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC- USA
Specialization : International Economics and Econometrics
Second Fields : Economic Development and Macroeconomics
Dissertation : Reexamining Forward Market Unbiasedness Hypothesis and
Contagion Effects in the East Asian Currencies
M.S. - Economics, 1997
Northeastern University, Boston, MA- USA
Field : Economic Policy and Planning
Second Field : Regional Economic Development
B.S.- Economics, 1994
Parahyangan Catholic University, Bandung - Indonesia
Concentration : Regional Economics
Academic and Professional Experience
Economist- March 2008- present
PT. Bumi Resources, Tbk
Assistant Professor- September 2004- January 2008
Department of Economics and Finance
College of Business and Economics
United Arab Emirates University
AI Ain, UAE
Courses Taught: Principles of Microeconomics and Macroeconomics, International
Finance, Money and Banking, Project Economics and Economics of Industry
Visiting Economist- June 2006- August 2006
Investment Coordination Board, Republic of Indonesia
Main Duties: conducted economic research and analysis related to Foreign Direct
Investments (FDI) and Special Economic Zones (SEZ) in Indonesia, gave policy
recommendations to the board executives.
Assistant to Marketing Manager- 1997-1998
P.T. Betamix, a ready-mixed concrete company
Main Duties: managed the marketing division, maintained high level of sales during
the booming period of building and residential constructions, conducted market
research, coordinated salespersons, maintained customer relationship
Awards and Fellowships
Graduate Assistantship- 1999- 2003
Department of Economics, University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC- USA
Courses Taught and Tutored:
• Principles of Macroeconomics (undergraduate)
• Principles of Microeconomics (undergraduate)
• Intermediate Macroeconomics (undergraduate)
• International Trade (MBA program)
• Managerial Economics (EMBA program)
Project and Research Involved:
• South Carolina Economic Outlook
• South Carolina Leading Indicator Forecast
• Survey of USC Economics Graduates
Exchange Rates, Political Aspects of International Economy and Business,
Globalization, Applied Time-series Econometrics and Forecasting, Southeast Asian
Economics, Economic Impact Studies
Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Managerial Economics, Money and Banking,
International Economics, International Financial Management, Globalization.
Publication in Refereed Journals
"Revamping the Value Chain in Exhibition Facilities: the Case of Dubai Exhibition
Industry," (with Colin Butler, Yahia Bassiouni and Mohammed El Adly), Facilities,
Volume 25: Number 11/12 (2007): 419-436.
"Forward Rate Unbiasedness in the Case of Financial Crisis: A Re-examination",
The International Journal of Business and Finance Research.
Work in Progress
"The Effects of Political Turmoil and Its Contagion on the Exchange Rate Volatility:
Some Evidence from Major East Asian Currencies."
"The Importance of Tourism Activities in Maintaining a Sustainable Growth:
Evidence from a new emerging city"
"Exchange-rate Pass-through in GCC Countries and its Impacts on Adopting
The Single Currency"
Grants and Contracts
UAE University Team Project: "Dubai Exhibition Industry Study," Funded by the
Department of Economic Development, Government of Dubai, 2005.
"Re-examining Forward Rate Unbiasedness Hypothesis in the Case of Asian
Financial Crisis," presented at Singapore Economic Review Conference,
Singapore, August 2-4, 2007.
Session Chair, Developing the Regional Special Economic Zones: Opportunities
for Partnership and Investment, Indonesia Regional Investment Forum, Jakarta,
Indonesia, November 1-2, 2006.
"An Analysis of Political Contagion in Currency Movements: the Case of East Asian
Countries," presented at INFINITI Conference on International Finance, Dublin,
Ireland, June 11-12, 2006.
Session Chair, Emerging Markets Contagion, INFINITI Conference on International
Finance, Dublin, Ireland, June 11-12,2006.
"Dubai Exhibition Industry," (with Yahia Bassiouni, Colin Butler and Mohammed El
Adly) presented at the Seventh Annual Research Conference, United Arab
Emirates University, AI Ain, UAE, April 22-24, 2006.
"A Retrospective on the Asian Currency Crisis" presented at Brown Bag Seminar
Department of Economics, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC - USA,
November 17, 2001.
UAE University Service
College Committees and Activities:
• Strategic Planning Committee to the Executive MBA Program- Member, 2007
• Strategic Planning Steering Committee- Member, 2005
• Dubai Exhibition Industry Project- Research Team Member, 2005
• Sulfur-concrete Initial Feasibility Study Project- Research Team Member, 2006
Department Committees and Activities:
• Student Affairs Committee- Coordinator, 2006-2007
• Curriculum Content and Evaluation Committee- Member, 2006-2007
• Faculty Recruitment Committee- Member 2007
• Academic Performance Improvement Committee- Member, 2005-2006
• Instructional Resources and Technology Committee- Member 2005-2006
• Faculty Recruitment Committee- Member 2006
• Academic Performance Improvement Committee, Member 2004-2005
• Instructional Resources and Technology Committee- Member 2004-2005
• Steering Committee- Economics Week 2007
• Econ Club (Economics Student Association)
• Department of Economics and Finance, CBE- UAE University
• Instructor- Business Plan Workshop, December 2005
• Department of Economics, CBE- UAE University
American Economic Association
International Trade and Finance Society
Southern Regional Science Association
Indonesian Economists Association
Indonesian Finance Association
Indonesian Editor, Munich Personal RePEc Archive (MPRA)